Monday, October 20, 2008

i need you...

We sang a hymn in church yesterday. A little modernized - we didn't have the organs or the choir - but the same words, same tune, same beautiful message. It's all about how we need God. How we can't be without him for a single hour...a single minute really. I'll just give you the lyrics instead of trying to explain it.
I need thee every hour, most gracious Lord;
no tender voice like thine can peace afford.

I need thee, O I need thee;
every hour I need thee;
O bless me now, my Savior, I come to thee.

I need thee every hour; stay thou nearby;
temptations lose their power when thou art nigh.

I need thee every hour, in joy or pain;
come quickly and abide, or life is vain.

I need thee every hour; teach me thy will;
and thy rich promises in me fulfill.

I need thee every hour, most Holy One;
O make me thine indeed, thou blessed Son.


It's a lesson I've learned over and over: we need God. Plain and
simple. You'd think I'd get it by now...you'd think we'd all get it by
now. I mean how many times have you heard it? "You need God." Even as I
write this I listen to a song by Newsong that says "I need you, Jesus,
to come to my rescue." I hear it constantly. I need Jesus.


So why do I keep trying to do life on my own?

It's obviously not working. Every time I try to do it on my own I get frustrated. I need to remember the lessons I hear over and over. I need to hand over my burdens and let God take control.

Easier said than done I guess...

No comments: