Sunday, March 15, 2009

a legacy.

Don't ask yourself the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.
- Harold Whitman

I'll be honest...I don't really know anything about Harold Whitman, but I came across that quote and, well, if he actually lived by that then my guess is he's not half bad. At first I was like What?? Don't ask what the world needs? Then how can I do anything worthwhile? And then I got it (probably because I read the rest of it...) The world needs people who have come alive.

This world is full of dead people. Not literally of course, but think about it. How many people do you think are really living life? I won't make myself look like an idiot and put some random percentage up here but I can tell you from my experience it's not too many. We're just a bunch of people walking around going through our day to day routines doing what we know we're supposed to do and saying what we know we're supposed to say. But how much of that actually means something? Seriously. Think about that for a few minutes.

So what makes you come alive? I believe with my whole heart that God has given each of us something that will bring us to life - a calling, you could say. For some that's children. For others that's teaching. For others still that's leading a major corporation. God's given us different talents and desires. For me, it's freeing women from forced prostitution. Just being near women from that background, even reading about them, gives me energy. It gives me a sense of purpose, a sense of calling. It brings me to life. I think that's God's way of telling me This is how you can leave a legacy. This is how I want you to make a difference in the world.

And that's exactly what I want! I want to make a difference in this world. Not just a small one, but a huge one. God's given me a desire to change this place. I know it's a temporary place, but the condition of this temporary home can make a huge impact on so many people's eternal homes. Something needs to change. Actually, a million things need to change. But I can't change them all.

And I guess that's where that quote comes in. If I ask what this world needs it's so overwhelming. It needs so much! But I can't do it all and I know that. So I need to do that one thing that brings me to life. Because the last thing the world needs is millions of dead people doing everything possible to bring change. We need living people doing what brings them to life so that others can be brought to life as well. And so, I want to be a very alive person who leaves a legacy that can help others find that life.

Does that make sense? Probably not, but maybe something in there did :)

No comments: