Sunday, February 15, 2009

a hard lesson

"Wait for the Lord" -Psalm 27:14

That's something I never understood. We sing it in church all the time: "Strength will rise as we wait upon the Lord..." I think I get it now. I get it because I'm finally doing it. I'm waiting on Him.

Maybe I'm wrong, but when I think of waiting on the Lord I think of waiting for His timing. We hear it all the time - God's timing is perfect. But when it really comes down to it is that what we believe? When you've been praying for that one thing for a year now do you still believe that His timing is perfect, or are you impatient and feel that you're timing would be much better.

I was never a very patient person when it came to what I was asking God for. Yes, I would tell people all the time, "don't worry, God's timing is perfect and it will all work out for the best" but I never lived my life like that. Oh I thought I did. Until I stood back and took a look at my life.

Ouch.

Have you ever really done that? Looked at your life? It's painful. Most of the time we don't like what we see. I'm not sure who said it originally, but Matt's said it plenty of times: "We preach best what we need to hear most." So true. I thought I knew all about God's timing. I told people about it all the time. But when God made me wait on Him, I realized I didn't have it down so well.

But I'm working on it. When I realized it wasn't the right time for me to go back from Cambodia, I was so upset at first. That wasn't the timing I wanted. It was perfect for me...one year and I'd be back with the girls that stole my heart last summer. But God closed those doors and said loud and clear, "No. Not this summer." He never said when. I know I'll be back, but this summer was my timing not His.

So I'm learning. I'm learning that God will make it worth the wait. That it will be better than I could imagine as long as I go when He wants me to, not when I want to. It's hard, but I'm learning.

"He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the hearts of men; yet they cannot fathom what God has done from beginning to end." Ecclesiastes 3:11

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Katie,

I know exactly how you feel! I'm applying for a lab internship. I would get paid good money and I would finally get to live within walking distance of my boyfriend (we have never lived in the same city). But, unfortunately, I think that I am learning the same lesson. I guess all I can say now is better is His time then mine!

Your Adoring Cousin,
Addie Lefczik

katie said...

Addie! I'm so proud of you :) Let me know how that internship works out. It's been so exciting hearing how much you've been learning from God over the past year. Keep listening to Him and it'll all fall into place.

Love you!