Thursday, February 19, 2009

beautiful, bountiful, and lacking nothing

It's been a long week. Too long. But sometimes when you need something to refresh you it's right there in front of you.

In this case, as in most, that something was the Bible. I'd like to say I picked it up on my own and started reading and had some great revelation, but that would be a lie. Instead I dragged my exhausted self to Women's Ministry class and we read Genesis 1-3. Or at least we were supposed to...we actually only got through most of 2 because we were breaking it apart so much. We went through verse by verse.

I've read this passage SO many times in my life and I thought I got it. God created the heavens and the earth, He made Adam and Eve and told them to make babies, and then they screwed up like we all do and ate the fruit God told them to stay away from. But my teacher is amazing and she brought the passage to life. She has a way of making the Bible so exciting...something that wasn't much of a reality to me until last year. She explained parallels to the New Testament and to our lives and showed us why this story of creation is so important. There was so much that I wish I could share. But of course you'd probably stop reading and never actually hear it. So I'll tell you the part that really spoke to me.

"God saw that it was good"
Genesis 1 says that so many times that it might even get redundant. But look at this: The Hebrew (which is the language of the Old Testament) word for good is tobe. Tobe means (are you ready?) beautiful, bountiful, lacking nothing.

After God created each thing He said that it was beautiful. He said it was beautiful. He said it was lacking nothing. There was nothing wrong with it. Isn't it awesome what a powerful and good God we serve? When He creates, He doesn't make mistakes.

Now that's a refreshing thing to hear when you're whole week's been a streak of mistakes...

No comments: