Saturday, August 18, 2012

DIY post?? What???

Ok guys...I'm getting trendy here and writing a do it yourself blog. Why? Only because I'm so proud of my mom and myself for what we did!

So my mom has hated her refrigerator for a long time and I've been addicted to pinterest for a short time now. So I had the brilliant idea to convince her to paint the fridge with chalkboard paint. It may sound weird considering there's no little kids in the house or anything but if you think about it it's very practical. You can easily keep track of what's in the fridge, what you need to buy, make to do lists...whatever you need to use it for! So I'll walk you through the steps to this super cheap way of upgrading your fridge.

First, you should know that our refrigerator is not made with that thin shiny plasticy stuff they seem to make them with lately. It's an old one so it has this thick textured exterior. I'm not sure how well it would stick to the plastic stuff.

For this project you need:
Chalkboard paint
Small roller
Angle brush
Small paint brush (like for water color type painting)
Paint tray
Painters tape

Yup that's it! Tape up the rubber at the door hinges and any trim you don't want painted.

Paint around the edges and trim using the angle brush and fill in with the roller. Let the paint dry before starting your next coat because going over it while wet seems to make it peel right back off. We did 3 coats and still had plenty of paint left over.

After it all dries peel the tape off and go over any small imperfections with the small paint brush. Unless you're a good painter and don't have any imperfections.

And voila! Did I spell that right? New updated fridge you can write on! And it only took us about 4 hours and 15 dollars. Here's ours :)

No comments: